3 Ingredients Shortbread Cookies

Jump to Recipe    ||   Print Recipe

A very simple yet delicious only 3 ingredients shortbread cookies are perfect to bake on those days when you are due grocery shopping.

I used ghee aka clarified butter to make this classic Scotish shortbread but as always you can use butter instead. The ghee provided a very nice flavor and taste to the shortbread and they tasted amazing with tea.

The recipe is adapted from TheSpruce and it turned out perfect. I baked it into a rectangle and after baking cut into pieces but you can cut into desired shapes before baking too. Mine were slightly thick as this time I rolled the dough thicker than I normally would.

What I think is about the shortbread is that it is perfect for those days when we ran out of grocery and have to go shopping. On those days when your kids would ask then this shortbread would come to rescue.

If you aren’t bound to use only 3 ingredients you can add some flavorings like vanilla or orange zest or you may also add some sprinkles too.

*If you ever try this recipe don’t forget to share your photos with me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or tag me on Instagram @cookingwithsapana using the hashtag #cookingwithsapana and stay connected* I would love to see your creations from my space!!

4.75 from 4 votes

Author: Sapana Behl
Ingredients
  • 1 cup ghee/clarified butter
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 cups plain flour
Instructions
  1. Line a square baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 300° F.

2. If your ghee is melted then place the ghee in the refrigerator for 15 minutes or until it starts solidifying.

3. In a mixing bowl add the ghee and beat it with an electric mixer until slightly pale, and fluffy.

4. Add in powdered sugar and beat again until combined. Stir in flour in two batches and mix until it starts forming the dough.

5. Using a parchment paper or cling wrap roll out the dough into a rectangle and transfer onto the baking sheet.  Or simply cut out desired shapes using a cookie cutter and bake.

6. Prick the dough sheet with a fork and bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes.

7. Remove from oven and make a cut mark of desired size and shape while it is still warm.

8. Serve and enjoy.

Recipe Notes

Store in airtight containers.

If the weather is cold you must use the ghee at room temperature, no need to refrigerate.

If you want a slightly thin biscuit, then roll into a thin rectangle and cut a square or round shapes of the cookies, if desired.

I used ghee but as always you can use unsalted butter.

Nutrition Facts

Cholesterol 26mg 9%
Sodium 1.6mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 62.6g 21%
Dietary Fiber 1.7g 7%
Sugars 14.9g
Protein 6.7g 13%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Enjoy!!

Pin it for Later

BMLogo

This is my post on the theme “3 Ingredient Recipes”. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM#85

Don’t forget that you can also find me on FacebookTwitterInstagramPinterest and Google Plus

Best Regards,
Sapana Behl

22 comments on “3 Ingredients Shortbread Cookies”

1. Usha says:

These remind me of 3 ingredient cookies I made couple of years ago. Some orange zest would definitely take these cookies to a different level.

2. Wow, i dont keep myself away from these cookies if i bake them at home. Those 3 ingredients cookies rocks Sapana.

3. harini says:

Wow! These look very sinful and definitely calorie laden. But an occasional treat would be welcome right?

4. Jayanthi says:

Lovely recipe. Pictures are so good and shortbread is a good companion for tea/coffee

5. Pavani says:

These 3 ingredient shortbread cookies look so flaky and delicious. Perfect tea time snack.

6. I am yet to make short bread cookies. I’m just worried how the cookies would taste without the addition of leavening agent. Your cookies are calling me to experiment 🙂

7. Absolutely tempting. Chai and shortbreads – what a refreshing combo ! I never tried shortbreads using ghee but for sure, it would had tasted heavenly !

8. Bhawana Singh says:

good one, when it comes to baking anything never thought about few ingredient list. good job.

9. Wow Sapana, shortbread with just three ingredients. Totally tempting and a quick way to enjoy warm cookies.

10. Mina Joshi says:

These biscuits look amazing. We all love shortbread in my family but have never tried making them at home. I will save your recipe to make them one day.

11. I love simple recipes like these that you can make with store cupboard ingredients.Bookmarking it to make soon.

12. Afroz says:

Wow just three ingredients, and they are easily available in my kitchen. They do look like scotish shortbread .

13. Another cookie recipe I am reading today and it’s definitely pushing me to take my OTG out. I too make butter cookies and yes ghee always givesunique Indian flavour.

14. Jagruti says:

I prefer simple baking recipes which I can make effortlessly with minimum ingredients! I always bake my own shortbread at home

15. Avin says:

Wow, never tried with ghee. Would love to try it

16. Just simple ingredients lead to such lovely bakes. I love using cow ghee for my bakes as well esp cookies. They turn out to be more flavourful than butter. Like i had commented on insta, i Loved that tea set my dear.

17. shortbread are just about the easiest cookies to make – yours came out perfect

18. Lathiya says:

Couldn’t believe that this amazing cookies are made with just 3 ingredients… delicious

19. kalyani says:

amazng teture and ghee mus have given it a different desi flavour. I am imagining adding jeera or pepper to this next time 🙂

20. Jayashree says:

Nice, easy to make cookies. They are definitely kids favourite.

21. Perfect munchie.. I love ghee flavored cookies ,they are really melt in mouth..

22. Ruchi says:

Wow just ne ingredients are cookies are ready… Amazing. Loved it