Xmas Cake | Christmas Fruit Cake
Xmas fruit cake is a type of fruit cake served during Christmas all around the world. It is usually light or dark coloured, crumbly or moist kind of cake with lots of dried fruits and nuts.
I already have Christmas plum cake, low-fat Christmas cake, fruit & nut cake recipes on my blog and this time I made another version of the fruit cake which is vegan. The cake turned out super moist and very delicious.
Blogging Marathon#75 Week 4/Day 24
Sub Theme– Cakes
Dish– Xmas Cake
A classic Indian style Christmas cake loaded with dried fruits soaked in fruit juice.
- 1 1/2 all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 1/2 cup candied fruit peel
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup water
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Soak the raisins, sultanas, currants and candied peels in orange juice overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 °F and line a 8" cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl sift together flour, baking powder, salt, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves.
- In another bowl add sugar and oil and whisk together for 2 minutes. Stir in orange and lemon zest.
- Add hot water to the sugar-oil mixture and stir in soaked fruits, mix well.
- Add the flours into the wet mixture and gently fold in all the ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the oven comes out clean.
- Cover the cake with aluminium foil at the end of baking.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool it on a wire rack.
- Dust with icing sugar, slice and serve.
The cake would taste more flavorful if the fruits were soaked a few days before making the cake.