Upside down Pear Ginger Cake
Upside down pear and ginger cake made with whole wheat flour is a warm and delicious tarte tatin like dessert but have a cake base. The pears are coated in caramel and ginger syrup and bring wonderful flavours in the cake.
The concept of upside down cake is to bake a cake in single pan or tin and later on turned upside down for serving. This cake is tasted best when served warm with creme fraiche or ice cream. I followed the recipe from a cookbook “From Lynda’s Table” that I recently borrowed from the city library.
To make it slightly healthier version I replaced the self-raising flour with whole wheat flour and the cake turned out perfect. I also used olive oil in the cake instead of butter. No one noticed that it was made with whole wheat and my family loved this warm and spicy cake as an evening snack.
The main attraction of the cake is the caramel syrup flavoured with ginger which makes the cake super rich and lightly spiced. Ths cake would make a wonderful dessert and a perfect treat for any occasion. This is my attempt to start #RecipeMakeover remake of upside down cake into a guilt free cake.
Blogging Marathon#75 Week 4/Day 21
Sub Theme– Cakes
Dish– Upside Down Cake
Country– France, United Kingdom, America
A warm and moist upside down pear cake with a hint of ginger.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 pears
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoon honey
- 4 tablespoon castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- In a saucepan add butter, honey, sugar and grated ginger. Let the syrup melt and cook until it becomes golden.
- Remove from heat and pour this syrup into the prepared cake tin or ovenproof frying pan. Arrange pear slices into the
- cake tin or frying pan whatever you are using. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F and grease a cake tin with oil or an ovenproof frying pan.
- In a mixing bowl sift together whole wheat flour, baking powder. Add in ground almonds and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl beat together olive oil and sugar. Stir in yogurt, honey and ginger. Whisk to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet in two batches; Gently fold in all the ingredients to make a batter.
- Pour the cake batter on top of the pears and cover them completely. Tap on the kitchen counter.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 35 to 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from oven and allow it to cool. Loosen the sides with a knife and flip the cake onto serving plate.
- Slice and serve with ice cream.